
I painted this picture of myself last summer (2007), using acrylic paints and colored pencils, on a piece of stiff cardstock. I started off by choosing a picture that I wanted to paint, which is by far easier than just making something up out of your head. Then I made a few copies of the picture, with different levels of contrast, just so I could see where the dark and light areas of my painting would be.
Next, I sketched out the picture on the cardstock so I could get the proportions right. Getting the sketch to look the way you want it to is important, but it's really just a general basis for how the painting will look like when it's finished - you can change whatever you want to as you work.
When my sketch was done, I just started painting. I paint in layers, so when I've finished one area, if I don't like how it looks, I can change it when I get to the next layer. Acrylic paint dries fast, so it's convenient for that sort of painting style. Plus, using lots of different layers adds depth to the picture, especially if you let earlier ones show through the ones that are more recent. Every person has their own painting style, however, so it's hard to write out a how-to for this stage. The way I did this one is a little more abstracted and less realistic than some people would prefer, but it's all up to you.
When I was done and the paint was dry, I still didn't quite like the way the painting was looking, so I got out my colored pencils and defined some of the lines a little bit more. It's an easy way to make your picture a little more clear, and can help make shading a bit easier, too. If you don't really feel like drawing all over your painting, though, you don't have to - and pastels are another option, if you're feeling creative.
No comments:
Post a Comment